[Dixielandjazz] unwritten rules new scenario

Ron L'Herault lherault@bu.edu
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:07:26 -0400

Perhaps if you had given Joe one and offered to split the profits?

Ron
----- Original Message -----
From: "AL LEVY" <jazz_man@ix.netcom.com>
To: <Dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 10:11 AM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] unwritten rules new scenario

I'll take your opinion on this one. I was the culprit.

Big Band (Joe Battaglia and the New York Big Band)
New York's "Supper Club"

Joe made a place for me as solo pianist between band sets. I wrote plenty of
charts for Joe and
attended rehearsals. He had a regular pianist and I subbed at rehearsals and
gigs when the regular
couldn't make it.

I created and published a cd (all midis) entitled LFO POPS. Tunes are
classical selections
that piano students learn from the typical teachers. (Fuer Elise, Spinning
Song, et al.)
I asked Joe if he would mind my placing a small display in the hat check
room and letting
the attendant sell them. He said - no problem. Manager of the club said no
problem but he would like a copy
for himself
.
Placard info mentioned my name as a member of the band. The band name and
Joe's name were in largest type.

I was fired by Joe.
Whatcha' think?

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com