[Dixielandjazz] Re: Former AFof M member and officer...opinion on passing out cards on a job.

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:07:24 +1000

Dear Art,
I am a (very) long-time member of the Musicians Union, even though my day job
was as an architect.
I was brought up with a union background.
However, I was most impressed with your sentiments, and the concisely expressed
reasoning, regarding non-union jazz persons. Both good and bad.
I will keep your post on file, as it relates very closely to the situation here
in Australia.
Years ago I had 2 non-union jazz mates ordered out of our band by a union rep.
(Who incidentally was NOT a musician).
OK, I had broken 'the rules'.
Things here are very much as you describe, and the Union now has little control
over jazz.
I do not agree with my dear friend Bill Gunter on the right to hand out cards,
but that is my right too. (Bill, I know, accepts this.)
And yes, it does happen here, although I have not had it happen to me.
That I know of.
Kind regards,
Bill.