[Dixielandjazz] unwritten rules

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:03:15 +1000

Dear friends,
Now that Bob and Bill's thread has run its course (we hope), I'll recycle an old
1960s Melbourne (Australia) jazz story.
Frank Traynor's Jazz Preachers (a real band) were playing at the local pub.
Another bandleader (who shall be unnamed, to protect his reputation) got into
conversation with the publican.
"Good band!" said the bandleader.
"The best in Melbourne". said the pub owner.
"I have a great band" said the band leader. "Bob Barnard is in my band".
"Great", said the publican.
"I know that if you put our band in" said the bandleader "we would double the
crowd".
"I'm happy with it as it is" said the publican. (That's probably a lie for a
start!)
"We could do it for a lesser fee', offered the bandleader.
"We don't pay the band", said the publican. "They do for free drinks".
The bandleader thought for a moment then said, "we'll buy our own drinks".
Kind regards,
Bill.