[Dixielandjazz] categories

Tito Martino tmartino@terra.com.br
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:53:10 -0300

Sheik stated:
<<<I would remind you that categorization efforts are *retrospective*,
and are intended to aid in discussing, finding, buying and reading about
our favorite musics by organizing them and providing some degree of
*objective*, consistent labels. There is NO CONNECTION AT ALL with what
the
*artists* called what they played--their ideas and comments are only
historical trivia. Our categories are essentially conclusions as to the
similarities and dissimilarities of what we hear on the records,
leavened at times by historical data. There is some room for differences
in opinion as to the exact terms used, and as to which categories an
artist belongs, but to the extent that individuals apply them
inconsistently, and impose personal preferences rather than objective
criteria,
the effort is muddied--Sheik>>>

That's perfect.

Tito