[Dixielandjazz] Unwritten rules??/

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:58:24 -0500

on 9/12/02 12:57 AM, Bill Gunter at jazzboard@hotmail.com wrote:

> If a leader says to me "You may not pass out your business card to the
> management during the gig." I have a choice of either not accepting the gig
> or abiding by the terms set forth by the leader. But in the absence of such
> an agreement (ahead of time) no leader can arbitrarily impose such standards
> of behavior on anybody.

Bill, you know I adore you!  But you are so far wrong on this one that I
must remark it.  No leader has to say "don't pass out your cards on my job."
That's like requiring intonation (if the leader doesn't request it in
advance, then I can play out of tune all night!).

Hey! play in tune, dummy!  "Well, he didn't say I had to do that!"

Nope--Bill, you're on the wrong side of this one.

Charlie