[Dixielandjazz] Re: Unwritten Rules

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 03:28:33 -0700

Re: Bob Romans recent question regarding a sideman solisatating a gig from
the manager of a club where he is working with another band.

This is a no-no.

I never do it when working as a sideman.  While working as leader, if a
sideman did this, I would have a serious talk with him.  If it happened
again, not only would I never hire him again, everyone else (musicians) in
town would hear about it.

I lived in Los Angeles for 17 years (which was 18 years too long).  While
there I was lucky to have been able to work with some really great
musicians.  Often they worked for me.  Not one of them ever did such a
thing.

In fact, often, when being hired to lead a band by an agent, or when a band
leader subbed a job out to you to lead, you were told that there were to be
no personal business cards passed out by you or any of your musicians.

If it ever happened, you'd never work in the town again.

There have been a few times when I thought that a club where a band was
working might be interested in my band on a different night.  Before
contacting the club, I first asked the band leader if it was OK.

When trying to book a foreign or even out-of-town band for one special
night, just to give them some extra work while they were passing through, I
never go to the manager of a club where another band is working without
consulting the band leader.

For many years there was a band leader in Sacramento who was known for doing
such things.  If a band landed a gig in a club, within 2 months, this
musician's band would be working there.  He was not well liked nor respected
by other musicians in town.

Bob
mr.wonderful@ringwald.com
Placerville, CA USA