[Dixielandjazz] Unwritten rules??/

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 06:12:51 +0000

Hi Listmates,

Will Connelly writes (regarding sidemen soliciting gigs):

>I am staggered that Bill Gunter thinks it's proper behavior for a
>sideman to solicit gigs on the job from the customer of the leader who
>hired you. I vigorously disagree. The one rectal orifice who did that to
>me and stole a very important long term gig from me has not since, or
>ever in the future, worked as a sideman for me, and I have no hesitation
>in warning others of his unethical behaviour.

With all due respect, Will, unless you actually had a contract for that
'long term gig' you had nothing which could be stolen. Understand? The gig
was not YOURS to keep unless you had such an agreement with the manager.

Are you telling us that you had a CONTRACT with the manager and a sideman
talked the manager into violating your contract. If so, you had grounds for
legal action. If not, NOTHING WAS STOLEN FROM YOU!

Cheers,

Bill "Show Me The Manager Who Will Sign a Long Term Contract" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com