[Dixielandjazz] rare instrument in jazz

David Richoux tubaman@batnet.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:48:38 -0700

drjz wrote:

> The IAJRC Journal, Volume 19, No.2, April 1986, has a long article entitled "Odd
> Instruments In Jazz" by Frank H. Trolle, listing some 70 of these weird things,
> with a picture of "SNUB MOSLEY playing the slide saxophone". If it is still in
> print, a copy may be obtained from
snip

there is also a LP of Snub Mosley leading his own band  ("The Man with the Funny
Little Horn," I think - I have a copy someplace) and most of the tracks feature the
slide sax.
Also his slide sax, or one just like it can be seen at the Shrine To Music Museum in
South Dakota. According to redhotjazz.com he also played trombone in Alphonso
Trent's band when he was 15.

and

Bryan Livett wrote:

> And don't forget Louis playing the slide trumpet, (soprano trombone?) with
> Oliver.

this one has gone around the DJML a few times - as I recall  it was never proven
that Louis ever actually played the slide trumpet - just held it in the picture - it
is a tricky little horn to play. (the trumpeter from the modern jazz group Sex Mob
does play it very well, BTW.)

Dave Richoux