[Dixielandjazz] Siudney Bechet - Sarrusophone Solo

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:28:07 -0400

Luis Flores wrote: (about Bechet & his Sarrusophone Solo)

"Sorry but I have for this recording the date of December 17 1924, Irvis
in trombone and B. Christian in banjo, and in the first part Bechet is
playing his saxo."

The Contrabass Society quotes Bechet's performance below, identifying
the instrument as an Eb Contrabass sarrusophone. Listen for somthing
that sounds like a bass saxophone, early on in the song as I believe
bechet then switches to Sop Sax later.

"Clarence Williams Blue Five 1924". Sidney Bechet plays a (famous or
notorious - take your pick) solo for contrabass sarrusophone in E Flat
on the track "Mandy Make up your Mind" (various CD reissues of the
original 78). Clearly the sound is scratchy and it sounds as though the
instrument was a doubling one but it is still an excellent solo and the
instrument can be heard clearly above (and below) the ensemble.

http://www.contrabass.com/pages/dis-cbsr.html

The web site above is fascinating and list the various recorded
performances of Sarrusophones over the years.  Including some done
lately in jazz by Scott Robinson and the Peter Eklund Band. Robinson
reprises "Mandy Make Up Your Mind".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone