[Dixielandjazz] Pigeon holes

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:07:53 -0500

>>One of the main problems we have is that many bands (in Europe at least)
try to play the 'pigeon holes' and say that they are playing this or that
type of jazz rather than just doing it.<<

     I can't understand a group playing an entire gig trying to sound just
like someone else.
     I can understand doing one "pigeon hole" tune just to show you can do
it, but I try to stay out of pigeon holes.  My fondest wish is that my
playing were unclassifiable.  Then I would be an innovator!
    But an innovator is usually a pariah, until one or more respected voices
say "I like it".
    Maybe in my next life.......
     Pat Cooke