[Dixielandjazz] Unwritten rules??/

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 07:47:31 +0000

Hi Listmates,

Bob Romans poses the hypothetical situation:

>. . . your band is booked at a local country club. It pays $100 per man,
>and is a very nice gig!! Everything is going great, the band is cookin'!
>During the last break, you find the manager and let him know you've enjoyed
>the gig, and you hope he'll call you again, so you hand him your card, and
>he informs you that one of your sidemen just gave him HIS card, and
>suggested he call HIM the next time if he wanted a band since he, too, has
>a band.
>What would YOU do?? Is this an ethical thing for a sideman to do? Would you
>hire that sideman again for another gig?

I'm gonna take a stab at this question even though I am actually a current
sideman in Bob's band "Cell Block  7"

Just because your band has been booked at a venue does NOT give you the
exclusive right to all future bookings at that venue. The very fact that Bob
uses the words "unwritten rules" tells you instantly that it is actually NOT
a rule at all.

It's not even a breach of etiquette or ethical conduct. I have a band and
would not hesitate to tell the manager of a venue about the availability of
my band even though I might be playing there with some other band.

I'd ask Bob a couple of questions.

1. Suppose the sideman waits a day after the gig and then goes to the club
manager and offers his card with the suggestion the manager might be
interested in hiring his band. Is that OK? If it's OK the next day why isn't
it OK any time?

2. If the answer is "No, it's not OK" then when is it OK for the sideman to
make a pitch to the club manager?

3. If the answer is Never! Then do you assume only you have any right to the
gig?

4. If you answer question 3 "Yes, only the original leader's band has any
right to the gig" do you think you are living in the real world?

5. What makes any musician think he has exclusive rights to a gig when there
is no contract to that effect?

6. If you were a club manager would you sign a contract with band X that you
will henceforth only book band X? I very much doubt it.

In summary, there is NO rule, written or unwritten, and no force of ethical
conduct preventing a musician from giving his card to a potential booker at
any time. To assume this practice is "unethical" is to define "ethical" as
only that behavior that benefits you. This is, of course, pure doo doo.

I suggest the leader ignore the sideman's conduct and get on with the
business of leading the band to the best of his ability and not make any
judgments about any sideman who exercises a perfectly legimite right.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Anyone Interested In Booking a Washboard Band?" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com