[Dixielandjazz] Unwritten rules??/

Captain Rapture yup1275@pacbell.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 00:15:38 -0700

--------------079020735B7C7B4F1164AC0B

As leader of Hangtown Jazz Company for
so many years, I offer you this:

I would thank the CC manager, saying I felt this was really
tacky and ask for the card, assuring him I'd deal with it and
appreciated his sharing with me, in a manager-to-manager tone.

Then I would confront the musician, soon after the gig
and let him/her know this was way out of line. Good
musicians are hard to find and, once housebroken, you
hate to lose 'em unless forced.

Many was the time I wished I could find
Musician-sized Pampers. A leader pays his dues,
no matter how hard you try to coddle and encourage
and support and accomodate.

It's wonderful when you can watch them grow and blossom.
It's hell when they won't go with the band's sound
or have a drinking problem.

D a v i d   M c C a r t n e y
just glad to play these days

Bob Romans wrote:

>  OK! A hypothetical situation...your band is booked at a local country
> club. It pays $100 per man, and is a very nice gig!! Everything is
> going great, the band is cookin'!During the last break, you find the
> manager and let him know you've enjoyed the gig, and you hope he'll
> call you again, so you hand him your card, and he informs you that one
> of your sidemen, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ just gave him HIS card, and
> suggested he call HIM the next time if he wanted a band since he, too,
> has a band.What would YOU do?? Is this an ethical thing for a sideman
> to do? Would you hire that sideman again for another gig?This is
> purely hypothetical...it follows a discussion I had with a fellow
> musician...as far as I know, it has NEVER happened to me! Just wanting
> to find out the thinking of all of you old-timers out there, who have
> been through all sorts of situations!Is this an open market, where
> anyone can promote his band? I'm trying to find out what leaders like
> Ringwald, Hooks, Barbone, Wiggins, and others whose names I can't
> think of would do in a situation like this...Thanks in advance for any
> thoughts or suggestions...Bob Romans
> Cell Block 7 Jazz Band
>
> www.cellblockseven2002.net
> >=iii=<0

--------------079020735B7C7B4F1164AC0B

As leader of Hangtown Jazz Company for
situation...your band is booked at a local country club. It pays $100 per
the last break, you find the manager and let him know you've enjoyed the
gig, and you hope he'll call you again, so you hand him your card, and
he informs you that one of your sidemen, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ just
gave him HIS card, and suggested he call HIM the next time if he wanted
would YOU do?? Is this an ethical thing for a sideman to do? Would you
is purely hypothetical...it follows a discussion I had with a fellow musician...as
far as I know, it has NEVER happened to me! Just wanting to find out the
thinking of all of you old-timers out there, who have been through all
this an open market, where anyone can promote his band? I'm trying to find
out what leaders like Ringwald, Hooks, Barbone, Wiggins, and others whose
Romans</font></font>

--------------079020735B7C7B4F1164AC0B--