[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland was George Lewis

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:55:30 EDT

--part1_17d.e29007b.2aafee82_boundary

In a message dated 9/10/02 4:59:37 PM Central Daylight Time, patcooke@cox.net
writes:

> I was in New Orleans in the late 40's doing 3 nights/week with Irving
> Fazola, and off nights with Leon Prima and a few other places.

   Tell us about Fazola.  He was one of the all time greats in my opinion.
HIs sound, his solo and ensemble work on the Bobcat recordings is truly
special.  He would have these lovely lilting lines riding over the ensemble
that still turn me on to this day.  His solo on "March of the Bobcats" ranks
up there as an all-time great solo.  Pete Fountain used to copy it and did
fairly well at it.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_17d.e29007b.2aafee82_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/10/02 4:59:37 PM Central Daylight Time, patcooke@cox.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I was in New Orleans in the late 40's doing 3 nights/week with Irving<BR>
Fazola, and off nights with Leon Prima and a few other places.&nbsp; </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Tell us about Fazola.&nbsp; He was one of the all time greats in my opinion.&nbsp; HIs sound, his solo and ensemble work on the Bobcat recordings is truly special.&nbsp; He would have these lovely lilting lines riding over the ensemble that still turn me on to this day.&nbsp; His solo on "March of the Bobcats" ranks up there as an all-time great solo.&nbsp; Pete Fountain used to copy it and did fairly well at it.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_17d.e29007b.2aafee82_boundary--