[Dixielandjazz] George Lewis

brian.harvey5 brian.harvey5" <brian.harvey5@ntlworld.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:59:03 +0100

Jim Beebe wrote.................
So to my dated thinking, this music is Dixieland Jazz and this is what
George Lewis played though I will amend this to say that he played his own
New Orleans brand of Dixieland Jazz.

How can I argue with that, especially as Jim put his finger on the bands
which gave Dixieland a bad name and made most of us retreat from owning up
to being fans of it. And this whole discussion reminds me of the fact that
if you put five (any number will do) jazz fans in a room and asked them to
discuss anything musical they'd come up with ten different views.