[Dixielandjazz] Whiskey & Coke

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:35:32 -0400

Phil O'Rourke wrote: (about Whiskey & Coke)

"I would totally agree if it was a good malt or even a good blend but
there
are some blends on the market that you need something to make it
drinkable.
Now to hypothesise that seeing Mr Greenwood has such a good taste in
music
the whiskey he was drinking was a bad blend. It was given to him as a
present and he didn't want to wast something that was related to some of
the
best drinks on the planet, highland, lowland or island. He also did not
want
to be impolite to the giver of the gift."

Reminds me of a gig in the early 50s where the drummer (Kenny John)
brought a couple of bottles of cheap Cognac. Being young and foolish, I
opted to cut mine with Coke to mask the taste. Drank a bit too much and
ended up being a very sick puppy at the end of the gig. And also the
following day. Never drank any sort of alcohol with a sweet mixer from
that day forward. Band mate Chuck Traeger (bass) convinced me to drink
Scotch only,  plain, or with water telling me that on numerous jazz
gigs, he had learned that those sweet mixers, and other types of booze
are hard on your system. Good advice.

Cheers,
Steve (no rum and Coca Cola) Barbone