[Dixielandjazz] NY Times Obits

David Livingston snargi@pacbell.net
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:32:12 -0700

Most papers don't actively research in advance for celebrities backgrounds
unless they are local. There are just to many out there. The major
newspapers probably have the money to throw around to research these
celebrities.

I am a librarian/researcher for the Modesto Bee, which is part of the
McClatchy family of papers, and we'll send out bio forms for our prominent
citizens to fill out. We also will do some advance research if we know
someone is close to dying. If the celebrity is from out of the area, we will
run whatever obit story comes over the Associated Press Wire service.

In the case of Hampton, he had been ill for a long time, so of course the NY
Times would have started collecting info on him. The University of Idaho,
Moscow, had an incredible amount of information available about Hampton on a
memorial web site just hours after it was released that he had passed on.
They obviously had created the web site in advance and just waited until
they heard the news.

David Livingston, Webmaster
Knight Sounds Big Band
davel@knightsounds.org