[Dixielandjazz] A question needing an answer

Don Ingle dingle@baldwin-net.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 14:36:59 -0400

Bill -- as our resident jazz historian perhaps you can fill in on the
background of this individual.
On a trip several year ago to the restored jazz area on 18th st. in Kansas
City, some of the old jazz clubs, closed and vacant, had poster in the
windows of former bands that had held sway in them. There was a poster of
Benny Moten -- and i am up to speed on him.
But another had a poster of Geo. E. Less and His Novelty Signing Orchestra.
Several photos showed musicians with an array of brass and reeds, with a
sousaphone, gal piano player and drummer out front.
What do you have on this individual. Photos are circa early 1930's.
Thanks for digging,
Don Ingle
PS - I did take photos of the windows and posters. This side street is just
around the corner from the neck Jazz museum, and near the Negro League
Baseball Hill of Fame. All well worth a visit to anyone coming through KC.