[Dixielandjazz] Stirringthings up, indeed!

Don Ingle dingle@baldwin-net.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 14:21:37 -0400

Talk about stirring up controversy! The music remark was okay. It was your
remark about having a whisky and coke that will do it if Bill Gunter and
other malt lovers same as yours truly caught that remark.
Since you spelled it without the "E", then it appears that you are talking
about Scotch Whisky. But having it with a coke can only indicate that you
are that variety of Brit which we of Scots descent would call Sassenach! A
dash of spring water, perhaps, but c-o-k-e? COKE??
We are a forgiving lot, but this approaches the unforgivable!<G>

In case you wonder why the <G> -- it indicates GRIN!
   Carpe diem, but don't mess up the good malt!!
Don Ingle

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Greenwood" <robertgreenwood_54uk@yahoo.co.uk>
To: <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 8:37 AM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Hi, it's the New Recruit again.

> Back at my PC after the weekend to find a new and very welcome raft of
messages from fellow New Orleans fans, so thanks to all who responded.

> I hope all you N.O. fans subscribe to the excellent New Orleans Music
magazine. It's essential reading.

> One of you mentioned Turk Murphy. Am I right in thinking that he was the
first to use the term "traditional jazz"? Let's argue the toss over that
one!

> Someone else asked where I am from and what instrument I play. Well, I now
live in the south east of England and my only instrument is the CD player.
My girlfriend caught me singing along to Louis' 1935 version of Red Sails in
the Sunset the other night (I did have hold of a large whisky and coke at
the time) but I don't suppose that counts.

> Now let's stir up a bit of controversy and discussion. In 1943 Bill
Russell made a trip to New Orleans and recorded George Lewis and his Band.
These classic, totally brilliant and highly influencial sides were issued on
the Climax label (actually Blue Note under another name). A place called the
Gypsy Tea Room was used as the makeshift recording studio for the Climax
sessions and the owner asked Bill if the band could record something for the
jukebox. Bill obliged and recorded the band playing "You Rascal You" and
"Old Man Mose". So it was stomps, blues, rags and spirituals for the
cognoscenti, and Louis impersonations for the native New Orleanians. Why
should this have been the case and what does it tell us about the New
Orleans Revival?