[Dixielandjazz] Royalties

Will Connelly willc@nova.edu
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:19:17 -0500

Harry Epp wrote:

> Will Connelly can give you correct advice. He has a book published "The Musicians guide to independant record production" Contemporary Books Inc.

It was very nice of Harry to mention my book - which was written in
about 1980 has been out of print for roughly 20 years -but what I knew
about copyrights back then has been overtaken by events. Other listmates
have offered far better/more current skinny.

One thing, though. The 8.2 cents per song per record is not graven in
stone even though it is the statutory compulsory rate set by congress.
Any author/composer who has not sold his copyright interest in a song to
a publisher is free to negotiate a LOWER RATE.

If anyone wants to know more about this,, I'll be glad to elaborate.

Kindly

Will Connelly