[Dixielandjazz] Harry Fox

John Mumford john@jazzbanjo.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:54:52 -0700

Several people have emailed me off list about specific questions regarding
Harry Fox.  I answered those questions off line as well.  There is some
confusion on Harry Fox's webpage as to how to pay royalties.  If you do it
on line they are probably going to get you for more money than you should
pay.  I would suggest you call them and ask for the forms to do it manually.
This is what the record companies do.  I have heard too many stories where
people have tried to use the website and they were told they had to pay
royalties for songs such as "Camptown Races" (because it is listed for
arrangements).  You need to research each song for the date originally
pulished and the composers name.  Using with these two pieces of information
you can check ASCAP and BMI.  There is one word of caution though,
publishers do not have to register with a royalty collecting organizations
such as those two.  It may be under copyright and not listed with any of the
agencies.

If you want to reprint sheet music that is a whole different game.  You have
to get permission directly from the publisher and negotiate a fee.

John Mumford
Jazz Banjo Magazine
Jazz Banjo Radio
www.jazzbanjo.com