[Dixielandjazz] Trombone Madness on Riverwalk

Don Mopsick mophandl@landing.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:35:22 -0600

Dear DJML:

Our Riverwalk Executive Producer has charged me with the task of writing the script
for a new Riverwalk show called Trombone Madness to be recorded in December at the
Landing in San Antonio. I don't know when the show will be broadcast and I regret
to say that it's unlikely that you can attend the taping.

The show will feature our own Kenny Rupp, Mike Pittsley, Russ Phillips, and Bob
Havens. All have been previously featured on our show. There will be new John
Sheridan arrangements for 4 bones on such tunes as Smoke Rings, Get Out and Get
Under the Moon, and I'm Getting Sentimental Over You.

The tone of the script is to be light-hearted and leaning toward the comic side
rather than a dry lecture on the history of the jazz trombone (which we have
already done in a previous show, by the way).

I will write brief intros to the tunes we have that were made famous by Miff Mole,
Tea, Vic Dickenson, and Cutty and McGarrity, Lincoln, and Dorsey. What we would
like are interesting or amusing stories about these guys, or the trombone itself,
like the Jazz Anecdotes by Bill Crow, but for trombones. Or the Joe Venuti bass
player prank, but...you get the idea. Maybe something about the slide flying off
the horn and landing in an interesting place?

I read somewhere on the net that Dorsey wrote Trombonology while aboard his yacht.
Any more info on this or where to look?

Any and all contributions and ideas are welcome.

Please email me at mophandl@landing.com

If what you send me turns out to be REALLY helpful, I might be able to sneak you
into the show.

Thanks in advance,

Don Mopsick
mopo