[Dixielandjazz] Copyright or Copywrong

Creole Dixieland Jazz Band Creole Dixieland Jazz Band" <dixielandjazz@myexcel.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:23:56 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Ivor Jones
To: DJML
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 1:58 AM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Copyright or Copywrong

My ex-band made a CD ' Live and on the Road in Portugal' to sell on our
gigs, and it sold very well, although I still have 500 in the garage. Two of
the band were invited for interview on Portuguese national radio, and they
played four of our songs on air, all from the 20's. At the end of the show
the producer said she loved the music and asked if they could have 20 copies
to distribute to their local radio station network and then asked for the
papers indicating copyright was paid, we told her that they were out of
copyright but she wanted the papers to prove it. This a catch 22 situation,
how could we have solved it. Answers on a postcard to........
------------------

Exactly! My CD duplicator dude is about to tell me he can't make the CDs
without the documentation that these tunes have either (A) had the royalties
paid or (B) too old to require that royalties be paid. I understand the
importance of paying royalties. I just don't want to pay them *if I don't
have to.*

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave
"It's a treat to beat your feet."