[Dixielandjazz] Copyright issues

Creole Dixieland Jazz Band Creole Dixieland Jazz Band" <dixielandjazz@myexcel.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:20:25 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Farrell" <stridepiano@tesco.net>
To: "DJML" <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Copyright issues

> I too am confused about the question of royalties on recordings. Am I to
> understand that there are two royalties payable on a recording - one to
the
> composer of the tune and the other on the recording itself?
>
> Like Jim Beebe, I have never paid either on any of my recordings and doubt
> if anybody would ever chase me for  money which they claim I might owe
them.

> There is a strong smell of scam hanging over all this copyright business.
>
> John Farrell

John,

Believe me, judging by the dozens of replies I've received on this issue,
EVERYONE is confused. The opinions are numerous and widely varied but the
known facts are few and far between. From what I've read and researched,
chances are, everyone is right -- that tunes written before (about) 70 years
ago are "public domain" and royalties need not be paid on them. But I still
can not find the actual written documentation proving this. And no wonder!
Why would the ASCAP and Harry Fox sites make that specific information
readily available? My guess is that there have been a number of people pay
royalties when it wasn't necessary simply because there's no clear
definition of the rules on those sites. A frustration.

Dave
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
Dave Gravatt