[Dixielandjazz] CD Royalties?

John Ding roadie@btinternet.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:35:21 -0000

Dave,

It might be worth taking a look at: http://www.nmpa.org/hfa/hfafaq.html
and the other pages on the Harry Fox Agency website.
--
 John,
        Suffolk, England.
                    ?
___o00o__(°¿°)__o00o___
    roadie@btinternet.com
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

----- Original Message -----
From: "dixielandjazz" <dixielandjazz@myexcel.com>
To: <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: 29 October 2002 20:31
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] CD Royalties?

: Hi gang,
:
: I am requesting help/opinions/info today.
:
: We're preparing to record a CD consisting of tunes written between 1917
and
: 1934. The owner of the company who will be duplicating our CDs (we plan
: make 1,000 copies) tells me he needs documentation that we have
permission
: from the publishers of the songs to record them. In the past, I've been
told
: that, since the tunes are all more than 50 years old, we need not worry
: about paying the licensing fees. Upon researching today, however, I'm
: finding that "mechanical licensing" appears to be required on nearly
every
: song on our list (despite their very old age). At 8 cts per song x 1,000
: CDs, that's going to be a heavy chunk of change. Basically, it's $82 per
: song that we put on the CD.
:
: We do not have a problem with paying the royalties if we're legally
required
: to pay, but if we don't have to, well...you see where I'm headed?
:
: Here's the link at which I keep arriving while trying to resolve this:
:
: http://songfile.snap.com/nonpro_search.html
:
: So, my questions are: 1) Do we need to pay? 2) Did you pay the royalties
on
: the last CD your band recorded (if you have a band)? 3) Is my duplicator
guy
: just duping me instead? 4) What's your take on all this?
:
: I've been involved in several CD projects in the past and, with regards
: paying publishers royalities or licenses, it's always been "no problem,
the
: songs are too old to worry about, etc. etc...."
:
: So, what do you think? Thanks, gang!
:
: Dave