[Dixielandjazz] Audience requests

Bill Horton horton4jaz@earthlink.net
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:09:32 -0800

Some bands like to get audience requests, some hate the disruption of a
well-planned tune list.  Chicago Six falls in the latter category, but I
found a way to squeeze one in.

During their first set on Friday at the Pismo Jubilee By The Sea, Chicago
Six did a really great "St. Thomas."  It's a catchy Caribbean-type tune and
almost demands a flute, two reasons you never hear it at an OKOM festival,
but I really love it.  C-6 likes to play unusual tunes and Bob Hamilton
doubles nicely on flute, so they recently added a nice arrangement of the
tune to their book.

The next day I was volunteering at the Vets Hall and sneaked behind a stage
wing curtain.  As Chicago Six finished a number and leader Bob Finch picked
up the mike to announce the next number, in my best stentorian voice,
audible to the first couple of rows, I said, "This is GOD!  You WILL play
'St. Thomas!'"  It caught The Big Bird off guard (and, hey, who knows,
maybe...!), so they played "St. Thomas."   When they finished the number, I
used the same Big Voice from behind the curtain to announce, "GOD IS WELL
PLEASED!"

It broke up the band, and most of the audience didn't know why.

Bill Horton