[Dixielandjazz] The National Anthem

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:10:59 EDT

--part1_a.2775032f.2aead523_boundary

In a message dated 10/25/02 3:01:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
Jazzjerry@aol.com writes:

> I don't wish to go into the merits or otherwise of your National anthem
> which
> seems to be generally accepted as rather unsingable. I was just trying to
> point out that this discussion has little to do with jazz and maybe the
> time
> has come to call a halt.
>
> To be perfectly honest I, and I'm sure many of the non-Americans on this
> list, could not care less what tune you use for a National anthem, or how
> it
> is performed. This is an international list.
>
> Personnally I feel that 'America The Beautiful' or Woody Guthrie's 'This
> Land Is your Land' are both better and more 'rousing' tunes just as for us
> feel that 'Land of Hope and Glory' is better than GSTQ.  But this is simply
>
> an outsiders point of view
>
> Let's get back to jazz.

   We always get back to jazz, Jerry... forgive these dalliances as they are
interesting and informative.  I agree with you about "America the Beautiful"
but no one is going to change the Nat. anthem.  Most jazz people here can't
stand "this Land is your land" as it evokes the dreadful Pete Seeger, one of
the least swinging guys that ever came down the pike.

Now you brought up the monumental piece "Land of Hope and Glory" and I have a
question that perhaps you can answer.  Did this piece originate with Edward
Elgar
in his classic "Pomp and Circumstance" composition?  Did someone write the
words to this from the instrumental composition or did it exist before as a
song and Elgar used it for the theme of this piece?  This Elgar classic has
been desecrated by every school in this country using it as a graduation
theme. I'm sure that Elgar would roll over in his grave if he heard how is
was used here.  Then again, he might just down a pint and have a good laugh
about it.

Thanks for any info on this.

Jim Beebe

--part1_a.2775032f.2aead523_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/25/02 3:01:23 AM Central Daylight Time, Jazzjerry@aol.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I don't wish to go into the merits or otherwise of your National anthem which <BR>
seems to be generally accepted as rather unsingable. I was just trying to <BR>
point out that this discussion has little to do with jazz and maybe the time <BR>
has come to call a halt. <BR>
<BR>
To be perfectly honest I, and I'm sure many of the non-Americans on this <BR>
list, could not care less what tune you use for a National anthem, or how it <BR>
is performed. This is an international list.<BR>
<BR>
Personnally I feel that 'America The Beautiful' or Woody Guthrie's 'This&nbsp; <BR>
Land Is your Land' are both better and more 'rousing' tunes just as for us I <BR>
feel that 'Land of Hope and Glory' is better than GSTQ.&nbsp; But this is simply <BR>
an outsiders point of view<BR>
<BR>
Let's get back to jazz.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; We always get back to jazz, Jerry... forgive these dalliances as they are interesting and informative.&nbsp; I agree with you about "America the Beautiful" but no one is going to change the Nat. anthem.&nbsp; Most jazz people here can't stand "this Land is your land" as it evokes the dreadful Pete Seeger, one of the least swinging guys that ever came down the pike.<BR>
<BR>
Now you brought up the monumental piece "Land of Hope and Glory" and I have a question that perhaps you can answer.&nbsp; Did this piece originate with Edward Elgar<BR>
in his classic "Pomp and Circumstance" composition?&nbsp; Did someone write the words to this from the instrumental composition or did it exist before as a song and Elgar used it for the theme of this piece?&nbsp; This Elgar classic has been desecrated by every school in this country using it as a graduation theme. I'm sure that Elgar would roll over in his grave if he heard how is was used here.&nbsp; Then again, he might just down a pint and have a good laugh about it.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for any info on this.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>