[Dixielandjazz] A new take on the Nat'l Anthem

Pepett@aol.com Pepett@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:10:43 EDT

Rocky,
          I am in complete agreement with you--BUT to repeat, let it be done
with respect, with observance to what  the composer had in mind when it was
written and should not be subject to interpretations by self serving
individuals.
          A case in point at the opposite end of the spectrum:
          Many years ago the late GREAT Peggy Lee had a smash hit with
Richard Rogers "Lover", one particular evening at some Nightclub Peggy belted
it out and took  the house down, Rogers happened to be in the house at the
time and when Miss Lee went over to him and said" Mr Rogers how did you like
the rendition"?
Rogers replied VERY acidly" Miss Lee, that was written as a WALTZ"!
         In my view, Peggy or any other artist has a perfect right, even an
obligation to interpret the song as he or she sees fit, but NOT so with our
National Anthem.
         I do NOT approve of  Whitney's rendition, nor Jimi Hendricks nor any
other
"Artist" who messes with either the Melody, the tempo, or the lyrics!!
         But this is just my opinion!
Best
      Perry

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL