[Dixielandjazz] A new take on the Nat'l Anthem

Bigbuttbnd@aol.com Bigbuttbnd@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 00:36:17 EDT

Okay... so count me in the goofy crowd...but I LOVE the National Anthem. I'm
GLAD it's hard to sing! I'm PROUD it's hard to sing... only the best singers
should sing it for a crowd... and they should sing the livin' snot out of
it... and when they do I get chills. I'd rather concentrate on who does it
WELL instead of who butchers it... because nearly everybody butchers it. It's
not hard to find examples of THAT! But tell me some folks who really nail it
to the wall!

I like Whitney's version but then Whitney has (or had) pipes like no one
before her. My absolute favorite, however, was a version featuring the entire
Osmond Family. Extended chords but reverent and majestic at the same time.
They did themselves proud. Recently, at a Braves game in Atlanta I was in
attendance when a 4-man group of guys really belted it out acapella and it
froze me in place. I couldn't catch the group name 'cause everybody was
screamin' their head off and clapping LOUD afterward because it was done so
well.

Rocky Ball
Atlanta