[Dixielandjazz] Our National Anthem

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:05:09 EDT

--part1_120.18666e96.2ae9ac75_boundary

In a message dated 10/24/02 2:33:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
paul.edgerton@eds.com writes:

> Steve,
>
> The original name of the tune was "The World Turned Upside Down."
> Other than that, I agree with your sentiments.
>
> Paul Edgerton

I believe that General Burgoyne had his band play "the World Upside down"
when he surrendered to George Washington.  It seems to me that I heard the
music to this tune a while back and I don't recall that it sounded anything
like "the Star-Spangled Banner."

> From: Stephen Barbone [mailto:barbonestreet@earthlink.net]
>

> Of course we should remember that the music to the Star Spangled Banner
> was purloined from an old English Song. Perhaps an old drinking song?
>
> Amazing that nobody took Francis Scott Key to task for putting his
> beautiful words to a rather clumsily written song sung by drunken dolts
> (no offense meant) from the country that was attacking us. Also amazing
> that we revere the "originality" of this song when no such originality
> exists.
>
> Me, I think "America The Beautiful" should be our National Anthem. Or,
> failing that, we should hold a national competition among Americans to
> write an original score for Key's words. To rant about "certain" people
> ruining it is rather pointless as it was ruined the day it was put to
> that awful, borrowed music.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

Steve, it is a great song.  It's just hard to sing with such a wide range.

Jim Beebe

--part1_120.18666e96.2ae9ac75_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/24/02 2:33:37 PM Central Daylight Time, paul.edgerton@eds.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Steve,<BR>
<BR>
The original name of the tune was "The World Turned Upside Down." <BR>
Other than that, I agree with your sentiments.<BR>
<BR>
Paul Edgerton</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
I believe that General Burgoyne had his band play "the World Upside down" when he surrendered to George Washington.&nbsp; It seems to me that I heard the music to this tune a while back and I don't recall that it sounded anything like "the Star-Spangled Banner."<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
From: Stephen Barbone [mailto:barbonestreet@earthlink.net]<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Of course we should remember that the music to the Star Spangled Banner<BR>
was purloined from an old English Song. Perhaps an old drinking song?<BR>
<BR>
Amazing that nobody took Francis Scott Key to task for putting his<BR>
beautiful words to a rather clumsily written song sung by drunken dolts<BR>
(no offense meant) from the country that was attacking us. Also amazing<BR>
that we revere the "originality" of this song when no such originality<BR>
exists.<BR>
<BR>
Me, I think "America The Beautiful" should be our National Anthem. Or,<BR>
failing that, we should hold a national competition among Americans to<BR>
write an original score for Key's words. To rant about "certain" people<BR>
ruining it is rather pointless as it was ruined the day it was put to<BR>
that awful, borrowed music.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Steve Barbone</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
Steve, it is a great song.&nbsp; It's just hard to sing with such a wide range.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_120.18666e96.2ae9ac75_boundary--