[Dixielandjazz] Our National Anthem

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton@eds.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:32:02 -0500

Steve,

The original name of the tune was "The World Turned Upside Down."
Other than that, I agree with your sentiments.

Paul Edgerton

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Barbone [mailto:barbonestreet@earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 12:16 PM
To: Dixieland Jazz Mailing List
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Our National Anthem

Of course we should remember that the music to the Star Spangled Banner
was purloined from an old English Song. Perhaps an old drinking song?

Amazing that nobody took Francis Scott Key to task for putting his
beautiful words to a rather clumsily written song sung by drunken dolts
(no offense meant) from the country that was attacking us. Also amazing
that we revere the "originality" of this song when no such originality
exists.

Me, I think "America The Beautiful" should be our National Anthem. Or,
failing that, we should hold a national competition among Americans to
write an original score for Key's words. To rant about "certain" people
ruining it is rather pointless as it was ruined the day it was put to
that awful, borrowed music.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone