[Dixielandjazz] How not to perform our National Anthem

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:43:42 EDT

--part1_1b8.8476ffe.2ae97d3e_boundary

In a message dated 10/24/02 10:42:30 AM Central Daylight Time,
charlie@easysounds.com writes:

> Unlike Nancy, I'm not confused at all.  It's tasteful if done by an OKOM
> musician, but appalling if done by a soul, rock or country singer.
>
> I'm reminded, however, of the picture hung in many recording studios;  the
> dying indian warrior slumped on his horse facing into the sunset, with the
> caption, "Where's the melody?"  There's a difference between (1)
> stylization
> that demonstrates technical prowess, vocal range and control, and (2)
> performance of the melody with feeling and respect.  I opt for the latter.
>
> Charlie Hull

   Well said, charlie.  Here is something else, Rod Stewart is now doing his
spin on classic pop songs.  He was Leno or one of those shows recently with a
semi jazz gourp lineup and croaked through, "these foolish things. I was dial
twiddling this morning and there he was with Barbara Bawa struggling with
"the Way you look tonight."   Yeah, Wingy and Louis did the same thing but
they did it with swing and style.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_1b8.8476ffe.2ae97d3e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/24/02 10:42:30 AM Central Daylight Time, charlie@easysounds.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Unlike Nancy, I'm not confused at all.&nbsp; It's tasteful if done by an OKOM<BR>
musician, but appalling if done by a soul, rock or country singer.<BR>
<BR>
I'm reminded, however, of the picture hung in many recording studios;&nbsp; the<BR>
dying indian warrior slumped on his horse facing into the sunset, with the<BR>
caption, "Where's the melody?"&nbsp; There's a difference between (1) stylization<BR>
that demonstrates technical prowess, vocal range and control, and (2)<BR>
performance of the melody with feeling and respect.&nbsp; I opt for the latter.<BR>
<BR>
Charlie Hull</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Well said, charlie.&nbsp; Here is something else, Rod Stewart is now doing his spin on classic pop songs.&nbsp; He was Leno or one of those shows recently with a semi jazz gourp lineup and croaked through, "these foolish things. I was dial twiddling this morning and there he was with Barbara Bawa struggling with "the Way you look tonight."&nbsp;&nbsp; Yeah, Wingy and Louis did the same thing but they did it with swing and style.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1b8.8476ffe.2ae97d3e_boundary--