[Dixielandjazz] Moments With The Greats

Tony Davis tony@tony-davis.co.uk
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:05:43 +0100

Unquestionably my most treasured moment was when Wild Bill guested with the
Zenith Hot Stompers on his last but one UK tour in 1988.

I'd seen him with the Condon band in the fifties, but never met him before,
and my first thought was how frail he looked. He was perched on a stool in
the middle of the stage and  I think he had some problem with his horn - the
first words I heard him utter were: "I'm all ****ed up here".  In a
discussion about whether we should use banjo or guitar, he expressed the
opinion that all banjo players should be hanged from the nearest tree.  Our
banjoist, who fortunately doubled on guitar, unobtrusively pushed his banjo
case under the stage...

Bill's playing at that time - it was the year before he died - was still
full of fire, even though the flame flickered at times.  During the session
we played a couple of duets - just him and me with the rhythm section.  It
was an unforgettable experience to have this legendary figure playing an
eloquent second to my lead.  At the end of the night I said what a privilege
it had been to share the stage with him.  He brushed this aside with the
words "Jesus, you're a good player" - too kind, but it gave me something to
try to live up to.

--
Tony Davis
Trumpet/Cornet