[Dixielandjazz] RE: Great sit-ins

Burt Wilson futurecon@earthlink.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:22:47 -0700

Dear jazz friends--

The sit-in I best remember was with the great Kid Ory. I'm a trombone player
and while I was going to USC(1953-55)in Los Angeles, I would spend my
weekends at the Beverly Caverns where Kid was holding forth during the
week(Johnny Lucas on Sundays).

Due to my frequent visits, I got to know Kid and heard a number of stories
("Louis wants me to go with him. Offered plenny money"). One night I walked
in and Tudie Garland was chording on the piano while the band played. During
the intermission I asked Kid what happened and he told me that his piano
player (Harvy Brooks, composer of "A Little Bird Told me that You Love Me)
was in a car accident and broke his finger.

Now, I was a self-taught piano player also and I brazenly asked Kid if I
could sit it. Grasping at any straw, Kid said yes. We started out with "Bill
Bailey" in F. Then Kid called "South" in Eb. I told him, "I only play in F."
He gave me a wierd look and we played "South" in F. After two more tunes in
F, he took a break.

>From then on, whenever I came in, Kid would great me with "know any tunes in
F?" and smile.

It was worth it.