[Dixielandjazz] Gigging with your Grandson

Mike Marois MikeMarois@HireLiveMusicians.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 23:58:03 -0500

I agree, gigging with your grand dad is a very cool experience.  I remember
back in the late 1970's up through the mid 1980's when my grand dad (Papa
Jac Assunto) my mother and father ( Fran and George Marois) and myself would
perform.  That was a totally cool experience.  As a matter of fact Papa Jac
and Mama Jo were the Emperor and Empress of the Sacramento Jubilee one year
and not only did we get to do some prime concert spots, we recreated a bunch
of the Original Dukes of Dixieland material to boot.

But the fondest memory I have playing with my grand father occurred a few
weeks before he past away.  My father and I were visiting New Orleans and
staying at Papa Jac and Mama Jo's place.  One Monday night a local trumpet
player came over about 7pm to pick Papa Jac up to go down to the garden
district and play at a few retirement homes.  Naturally my father and I
tagged along with our axes in hand for a fantastic evening of Dixieland
jazz.  The only pay on those gigs were the smiles on the peoples' faces, oh
and some milk and cookies.  A week or so after that my grand father pasted
way.  I'll never forget the fun we had.

Mike Marois
Tuba/Computer Guru
http://www.TheDukesofDixieland.com