[Dixielandjazz] Tamas is back

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:34:26 -0500

    That Tamas is on the list is good news indeed, for he is a very fine
musician--composer, arranger, and player.  He is certianly one of the best
musicians on the list, is full of energy and highly organized, and you can
put his word in the bank.  Maybe you can tell I like him.

    Hard to believe he's now 35.  Back in the 90s he hired me along with
Rusty Jones to accompany Paul Asaro in a series of concerts all over
Hungary.  Mimi Blais was along and impressed everyone as usual.  But to me,
the most impressive person was Tamas himself and his group of fine young
players hanging out in Kecskemet at the Kodaly Institute.  His band gets th=
sound I've always thought hot jazz players in Paris were likely to get
around 1925, sophisticated arrangements and good players.

    If anybody's interested, I suspect he'll sell you some records...

Welcome, Tamas! (Lornetta says to tell you, Hi!)
Charlie