[Dixielandjazz] Youth Concerts

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:21:27 -0400

I agree with Jim Beebe that playing at schools for free, on occasion, is
not being taken for a sucker, but trying to expand the base of fan
appreciation, giving something back. I even lectured on jazz at a local
school 3 times for free this year. There are also other ways to approach
younger audiences, that will  pay you gig money.

In our area there are many foundations that present "educational"
programs at local high schools. These are FREE, but the foundation pays
you. Example, The Hadley Foundation has booked Barbone Street to play a
2 hour concert at Unionville High School early next year. They pay us
higher than union scale. For the past several years, they have booked
one jazz band, 5 other types of music and 5 lectures each year. There
are foundations like this in every area of the USA. Get with yours.

Now, what I do to promote concerts like these is in addition to my
regular promos is mail out flyers to all area high school music
departments. One page,  about jazz, 20th century jazz legends and how
Barbone Street connects with those legends.  As a result, we will draw
in excess of 1000 people, of which 500 or so will be under 40 years old
and at least 100 will be students.

I've posted before about playing street fairs, music festivals,
municipal events etc. These always draw kids and they pay you better
than union scale.

Our University gigs, several per year, draw college kids. Our club gigs
draw kids. Our weddings draw kids and so forth.

There are many ways to get to the kids, that pay, but most of us just
don't take advantage of them. Guys and Girls, put your thinking caps on
and look for angles and angels.

When we do "charity" gigs and are asked to donate time, I say, "I'll
donate mine, but the guys in the band must be paid. This is how they
make their living. But tell you what, we'll cut our price for your very
worthy charity. Three hours on Friday night?  Hmm, we usually get $1800,
but I'll knock it down to $900. Can't you find an angel to donate that?"

Not surprisingly, most can and do. And we get a surprising amount of
additional work through them. I repeat, we are doing 160 OKOM gigs a
year, plus subbing a few more out because at our ages, 160 seems to be
the limit.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone