[Dixielandjazz] Re: Youth Concerts

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:29:32 EDT

--part1_1a8.a619c81.2adf0a0c_boundary

In a message dated 10/16/02 4:41:15 AM Central Daylight Time,
VLVache1@aol.com writes:

> I don't think Allan remembered to say that as his wife and.... elementary
> music school teacher I work about 30 to 40 hours a week (on top of my
> normal
> 40 hours) that I do not get paid for.  We sacrifice enough already.
> Besides
> I don't want my students (and fellow teachers) to grow up thinking its OK
> not
> to pay for musicians. As far as I'm concerned I woudn't want to play a
> concert for free at a school then hear that half of the kids (and their
> families) spent a couple hundred dollars to go to a rock concert or a
> sports
> event.   When the local orchestras play for the students all the musicians
> get union scale-thats about 60 musicans vs. 6 for a jazz group.  In my book
>
> playing for free in general isn't being called giving and generous its
> called
> being a sucker.  Vanessa Vache

   I agree with Vanessa that teachers are underpaid and overworked.  But
Allen was exclaiming his concern about exposing elementary students to OKOM.
If he is sincerely interested in this then he should contact schools and
offer to do some programs at no charge.  This would be his and the musicians
involved, contribution to education in their community.  I"ve done that and I
and the musicians involved were pleased to do it.  It was very worthwhile.
If Allen is using the education bit as a ploy to get money for gigs then I
would consider this, frankly as a bit shameful.  Playing for free for a
worthwhile endeavor is hardly being a 'sucker.'

Charlie Hooks wife, Lornetta is also a music teacher and I guarantee that
Charlie has put in a lot of free performances at her school.  And others.  I
know because I was part of at least one.  Top chicago jazz musicians were
involved and loved doing it
and no one thought of themselves as suckers.

--part1_1a8.a619c81.2adf0a0c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/16/02 4:41:15 AM Central Daylight Time, VLVache1@aol.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I don't think Allan remembered to say that as his wife and.... elementary <BR>
music school teacher I work about 30 to 40 hours a week (on top of my normal <BR>
40 hours) that I do not get paid for.&nbsp; We sacrifice enough already.&nbsp; Besides <BR>
I don't want my students (and fellow teachers) to grow up thinking its OK not <BR>
to pay for musicians. As far as I'm concerned I woudn't want to play a <BR>
concert for free at a school then hear that half of the kids (and their <BR>
families) spent a couple hundred dollars to go to a rock concert or a sports <BR>
event.&nbsp;&nbsp; When the local orchestras play for the students all the musicians <BR>
get union scale-thats about 60 musicans vs. 6 for a jazz group.&nbsp; In my book <BR>
playing for free in general isn't being called giving and generous its called <BR>
being a sucker.&nbsp; Vanessa Vache</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I agree with Vanessa that teachers are underpaid and overworked.&nbsp; But Allen was exclaiming his concern about exposing elementary students to OKOM.&nbsp; If he is sincerely interested in this then he should contact schools and offer to do some programs at no charge.&nbsp; This would be his and the musicians involved, contribution to education in their community.&nbsp; I"ve done that and I and the musicians involved were pleased to do it.&nbsp; It was very worthwhile.&nbsp; If Allen is using the education bit as a ploy to get money for gigs then I would consider this, frankly as a bit shameful.&nbsp; Playing for free for a worthwhile endeavor is hardly being a 'sucker.'<BR>
<BR>
Charlie Hooks wife, Lornetta is also a music teacher and I guarantee that Charlie has put in a lot of free performances at her school.&nbsp; And others.&nbsp; I know because I was part of at least one.&nbsp; Top chicago jazz musicians were involved and loved doing it<BR>
and no one thought of themselves as suckers.</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1a8.a619c81.2adf0a0c_boundary--