[Dixielandjazz] Re: Quick! Send me a jazz/blues lesson for kids

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:50:01 -0400

Nancy:

Talk to them about how young Louis Armstrong got his start playing a tin horn
on the Karnofsky's junk wagon. Then how he got Mr. Karnosky to advance him some
salary money to buy his first cornet for $5. Then how he started playing in
brass bands. Then how he got sent to the home for "colored waifs" and played in
that band. Then how he started playing in the tonks in Storyville. Etc., etc.,
etc.

And then how he became the most influencial/important figure in Jazz, if not
all of music, during the 20th century.

All of this from an illegitimate black child, starting with nothing, who
figured out how to succeed in a largely hostile world, with a little help from
his mother.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone