[Dixielandjazz] Advise About Creating PDF Files for Free Was Inaccurate

BudTuba@aol.com BudTuba@aol.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:08:37 EDT

--part1_106.19ebcfaa.2ade2425_boundary

Driver from the internet I received a message from a listmate that indicated
my instructions were not resulting in PDF files, but PRN files instead.  I
therefore decided to debug my instructions:

In a message dated 10/13/02 9:50:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lswain@penrose.com writes:

> > Meanwhile, I am going to try to install the driver on
> > my wife's machine and find out if I copy one of the Distiller PPD
> > files if it will then generate PDF files correctly.  I'll let you know
> > how I make it in a few days.

Larry,

I followed the instructions as you did and found out that what I had promoted
as a PDF creation driver actually did a different task.  It allows one to
print a PDF on a PostScript printer.  PS printers are a special type of
printer that contains their own font files.  These are faster than graphics
printers but generally only used in business environments.

In search for a PDF creation facility, I could not find a simple, free
approach.  There are several commercial PDF file creators, and they range in
cost from $30 to about $100 for single use licenses.  The Simplest is Jaws
PDF Creator which provides an affordable and reliable means of creating PDF
files from virtually any document in any application. Using Jaws PDF Creator,
users are able to easily create electronic documents that can be shared
across a wide range of hardware and software. If you would like to look at
this and possibly buy the single user license ($30) follow this link.

<A HREF="http://www.jawspdf.com/pdf_creator/index.html">Jaws PDF Creator</A>

Sorry to have heightened your expectations.  I guess the application worked
for me since I have already installed Adobe Acrobat Writer 4.0 on my machine.
 I bought that through eBay for about $40 a year ago.  Being able to print to
PDF files is a great convenience, but is not free.

Bud Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Rochester, NY
Traditional Jazz since 1958

--part1_106.19ebcfaa.2ade2425_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In response to my message that anyone could download a free PDF Printer Driver from the internet I received a message from a listmate that indicated my instructions were not resulting in PDF files, but PRN files instead.&nbsp; I therefore decided to debug my instructions:<BR>
<BR>
In a message dated 10/13/02 9:50:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lswain@penrose.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&gt; Meanwhile, I am going to try to install the driver on <BR>
&gt; my wife's machine and find out if I copy one of the Distiller PPD<BR>
&gt; files if it will then generate PDF files correctly.&nbsp; I'll let you know<BR>
&gt; how I make it in a few days.<BR>
&gt;</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Larry,<BR>
<BR>
I followed the instructions as you did and found out that what I had promoted as a PDF creation driver actually did a different task.&nbsp; It allows one to print a PDF on a PostScript printer.&nbsp; PS printers are a special type of printer that contains their own font files.&nbsp; These are faster than graphics printers but generally only used in business environments.<BR>
<BR>
In search for a PDF creation facility, <B>I could not find a simple, free approach.</B>&nbsp; There are several commercial PDF file creators, and they range in cost from $30 to about $100 for single use licenses.&nbsp; The Simplest is Jaws PDF Creator which provides an affordable and reliable means of creating PDF files from virtually any document in any application. Using Jaws PDF Creator, users are able to easily create electronic documents that can be shared across a wide range of hardware and software. If you would like to look at this and possibly buy the single user license ($30) follow this link.<BR>
<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.jawspdf.com/pdf_creator/index.html">Jaws PDF Creator</A><BR>
<BR>
Sorry to have heightened your expectations.&nbsp; I guess the application worked for me since I have already installed Adobe Acrobat Writer 4.0 on my machine.&nbsp; I bought that through eBay for about $40 a year ago.&nbsp; Being able to print to PDF files is a great convenience, but is not free.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
    <BR>
<P ALIGN=CENTER></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SCRIPT" FACE="Comic Sans MS" LANG="0">Bud Taylor<BR>
<B>Smugtown Stompers</B><BR>
Rochester, NY<BR>
Traditional Jazz since 1958</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</P></FONT></HTML>
--part1_106.19ebcfaa.2ade2425_boundary--