[Dixielandjazz] 1 & 3 vs, 2 & 4

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:30:11 +0000

Hi listmates,

There may be those who maintain that if you point out that blacks clap on 2
and 4 and whites clap on 1 and 3 you are somehow being racist.

I don't want to get into that at all.

One time a band I was playing in (The Joyful Noise Jazz Band) had a gig at a
black baptist chuch in Richmond, CA. We had two gospel singers who sang with
the band at this gig (named Joanne and Zephyr) and the band played some good
gospel jazz tunes (Just a little while to stay here, Over in the gloryland,
Walking with the king, etc.) and everyone had a rousing good time. I did
notice one particular thing. EVERYONE in the church was clapping on 2 and 4
except the ONLY white couple in the congregation and they were clapping on 1
and 3. That was not a surprise to anyone there.

It is certainly not a racist concept . . . it's a musical one. I more
naturally stress 2 and 4 but then I play washboard and what else would I
play, pray tell!  The tendancy to stress the back beat is probably cultural
because of the way gospel music is traditionally played in predominatly
black churches.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Thomas A. Dorsey lives!" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN.