FW: [Dixielandjazz] 1 & 3 vs. 2 & 4

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:10:19 EDT

--part1_170.159aea63.2addd02b_boundary

In a message dated 10/15/02 3:03:24 PM Central Daylight Time, kash@ran.es
writes:

> Behalf Of JimDBB@aol.com
>
>    Kash is absolutely right about this. In most European music the
> emphasis is on the 1 & 3rd beat ............
>
> Listen to Turk Murphy's Frisco Jazz Band Live on MPS827 878-2 (CD
> recorded live at Heidelberg Jazz Festival, June '73) to hear the German
> audience quickly join in with tremendous strong clapping on 1 & 3.
> There's no way the band could ever get them onto 2 & 4.
>
> Jim

   Right, the natural emphasis of the beat in Turk's band would most often be
on the 1 & 3.  Turk Murphy's band in feel and rhythm is not far removed from
a German polka band. Much of his rep are marches or march like. And I don't
mean this negatively.

   JImdbb

--part1_170.159aea63.2addd02b_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/15/02 3:03:24 PM Central Daylight Time, kash@ran.es writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Behalf Of JimDBB@aol.com<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Kash is absolutely right about this. In most European music the<BR>
emphasis is on the 1 &amp; 3rd beat ............<BR>
<BR>
Listen to Turk Murphy's Frisco Jazz Band Live on MPS827 878-2 (CD<BR>
recorded live at Heidelberg Jazz Festival, June '73) to hear the German<BR>
audience quickly join in with tremendous strong clapping on 1 &amp; 3.<BR>
There's no way the band could ever get them onto 2 &amp; 4. <BR>
<BR>
Jim</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Right, the natural emphasis of the beat in Turk's band would most often be on the 1 &amp; 3.&nbsp; Turk Murphy's band in feel and rhythm is not far removed from a German polka band. Much of his rep are marches or march like. And I don't mean this negatively.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; JImdbb</FONT></HTML>

--part1_170.159aea63.2addd02b_boundary--