[Dixielandjazz] 1 & 3 vs. 2 & 4

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:56:58 EDT

--part1_37.2efc4de3.2addbefa_boundary

In a message dated 10/15/02 1:02:15 PM Central Daylight Time, kash@ran.es
writes:

> On Behalf Of Stephen Barbone
> Just watch all the white folks in the audience clapping on 1 and 3.
> That's 2 beat. ;-)
>
> Don't be too cruel, Stephen.  Most western folk music is based on 1 & 3,
> therefore the folks tend to hear that first.  Spanish folk music is 1 &
> 3 (other than the 3/4 times), and they will go for that first when
> clapping.  I go out in the audience and physically help some that are
> struggling (especially if she's cute!).
>
> Jim

   Kash is absolutely right about this. In most European music the emphasis
is on the 1 & 3rd beat or 1 & 2, in the case of marches and that type of
music.  Jazz people very often try to force a 2 & 4 clapping along thing when
in actuality the emphasis within the beat for that is not there.  When you
hear a jazz or blues group that really plays with that kind of beat, the 2 &
4 thing will be there naturally.

   JImdbb

--part1_37.2efc4de3.2addbefa_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/15/02 1:02:15 PM Central Daylight Time, kash@ran.es writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
On Behalf Of Stephen Barbone <BR>
Just watch all the white folks in the audience clapping on 1 and 3.<BR>
That's 2 beat. ;-)<BR>
<BR>
Don't be too cruel, Stephen.&nbsp; Most western folk music is based on 1 &amp; 3,<BR>
therefore the folks tend to hear that first.&nbsp; Spanish folk music is 1 &amp;<BR>
3 (other than the 3/4 times), and they will go for that first when<BR>
clapping.&nbsp; I go out in the audience and physically help some that are<BR>
struggling (especially if she's cute!).<BR>
<BR>
Jim</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Kash is absolutely right about this. In most European music the emphasis is on the 1 &amp; 3rd beat or 1 &amp; 2, in the case of marches and that type of music.&nbsp; Jazz people very often try to force a 2 &amp; 4 clapping along thing when in actuality the emphasis within the beat for that is not there.&nbsp; When you hear a jazz or blues group that really plays with that kind of beat, the 2 &amp; 4 thing will be there naturally.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; JImdbb</FONT></HTML>

--part1_37.2efc4de3.2addbefa_boundary--