[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #271 - 15 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 06:41:43 EDT

--part1_1a9.a4d5f41.2add4ae7_boundary

In a message dated 10/14/2002 7:02:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Message: 10
> From: "Patrick Cooke" <patcooke@cox.net>
> To: <barbonestreet@earthlink.net>,
> Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Chords Again. James P Johnson to Dizzy
> Gillespie
> Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:16:39 -0500

> you?
> Otherwise I'll have to think either that JPJ was among the harmonic
> grandfathers of bebop, or that Monk played Dixieland. ;-)<<<
>
>    The Gm6, The C9(root omitted), and the Em7b5 are all fingered exactly
> the
> same on a guitar.  They all contain the same notes.
>     What you name a chord depends a lot on the chord before it and/or the
> chord that it resolves to.  All 3 chords have a dominant sound.  There are
> number of dominant substitutions that will also sound good.
>      The m7b5 designation is a later usage and it didn't appear in most
> fake
> books until the latter part of the last century (1900's).  I had always
> related the Gm6 and the C9, but it took a while to get used to the m7b5
> designation.  Better get used to it, if you're going to be reading fake
> books.
>        Pat Cooke

Dan Spink replies:

Pat is right about almost everything in my opinion.The only that puzzles me
about most of the chord construction comments is the underlying assumption
(am I misreading this one?) that chords as defined in fake books are supposed
to make harmonic sense. Often they do not. The publisher wants us to buy his
sheet music hence does everything he can to make it look easy to play. In so
doing he often destroys the original subtlties and misspells chords like
crazy. Further, to make it look interesting to guitarists, they will throw in
what are called cover chords, to complete a transition or simply vamp out a
few bars. The result is expedient, not accurate, chord spelling. To quote
Tony Ricigliano's great text, Popular and Jazz Harmony: "One of the most
important points to remember when revising sheet music is that the guitar
chords or symbols shown above the melody are NOT to be relied upon as an
accurate analysis of the chords in the piano accompaniment for several
reasons: 1) The symbols are not intended as a harmonic analysis but as an
outline for the guitar (only) giving only the upper part of the chord (which
is an incomplete definition), 2) The correct root or bass tone in an
inversion is not indicated, 3) Moving patterns are rarely indicated, 4) Often
too many chords are given due to the harmonization of the non-harmonic tones,
5) Chords are sometimes omitted completely, and 6) Pedal points are not
indicated.I always assume the sheet music is merely an outline of chord
directions and go from there with my ear. Hope this is helpful.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink

--part1_1a9.a4d5f41.2add4ae7_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="FIXED" FACE="Courier New CE" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 10/14/2002 7:02:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Message: 10<BR>