[Dixielandjazz] Chords Again. James P Johnson to Dizzy Gillespie

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:16:39 -0500

Steve wrote:
> [...]
Otherwise I'll have to think either that JPJ was among the harmonic
grandfathers of bebop, or that Monk played Dixieland. ;-)<<<

   The Gm6, The C9(root omitted), and the Em7b5 are all fingered exactly the
same on a guitar.  They all contain the same notes.
    What you name a chord depends a lot on the chord before it and/or the
chord that it resolves to.  All 3 chords have a dominant sound.  There are a
number of dominant substitutions that will also sound good.
     The m7b5 designation is a later usage and it didn't appear in most fake
books until the latter part of the last century (1900's).  I had always
related the Gm6 and the C9, but it took a while to get used to the m7b5
designation.  Better get used to it, if you're going to be reading fake
books.
       Pat Cooke