[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #269 - 11 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 14:33:56 EDT

--part1_1ab.a431742.2adc6814_boundary

To Editors:

I'm not sure exactly where the list came from identified as George Borgman's
list of most important references regarding early Jazz and ragtime. Posted on
April 24, 2001, in reply to: Best 10 Books posted by Leslie Johnson on March
18, 2001.

George writes: As a jazz journalist who does stories in depth on various jazz
personalities and a reviewer of recordings, videos, etc., I use various
reference books, including discographies and biographies. My choices are: He
then lists about 24 sources.

Dan Spink replies to George:
While I concur that've put together an excellent list, I'm puzzled as to one
giant omission: i.e., The History of Jazz, by Ted Gioia. Oxford University
Press, New York, 1997. It's won many awards and was the most comprehensive
and accurate history of jazz I've ever read. It's a real page turner.

Dan Spink
dwsi@aol.com

--part1_1ab.a431742.2adc6814_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="FIXED" FACE="Courier New CE" LANG="0"><B>To Editors:<BR>
<BR>
I'm not sure exactly where the list came from identified as George Borgman's list of most important references regarding early Jazz and ragtime. Posted on April 24, 2001, in reply to: Best 10 Books posted by Leslie Johnson on March 18, 2001.<BR>
<BR>
George writes: As a jazz journalist who does stories in depth on various jazz personalities and a reviewer of recordings, videos, etc., I use various reference books, including discographies and biographies. My choices are: He then lists about 24 sources.<BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink replies to George:<BR>
While I concur that've put together an excellent list, I'm puzzled as to one giant omission: i.e., <I>The History of Jazz</I>, by Ted Gioia. Oxford University Press, New York, 1997. It's won many awards and was the most comprehensive and accurate history of jazz I've ever read. It's a real page turner.<BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink<BR>
dwsi@aol.com </B></FONT></HTML>

--part1_1ab.a431742.2adc6814_boundary--