FW: [Dixielandjazz] Message from Bob Ringwald

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 23:48:15 -0500

----------
From: Charlie Hooks <charliehooks@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 23:44:21 -0500
To: CAROL  EMERICH <cemerich@voyager.net>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Message from Bob Ringwald

on 10/11/02 10:29 PM, CAROL  EMERICH at cemerich@voyager.net wrote:

> Bob called from San Diego and asked me to inform you all that Abe Most has
> died.  Bob had no details and will call again tomorrow when he knows more.
> He wanted to be sure to get the word to you as soon as he could.  Sorry to
> be the bearer of more bad news.
> Carol in Xenia OH

    Aw, man!  Another great one departed!

    It just keeps happening; and we don't have that many left!  Who's still
here?  Mayhew?  Hedges (purveyer of endless eighth-notes but a treasure,
nonetheless).  Actually, I suppose there are a million of 'em but they
remain unnoticed, unremarked.  I've noticed over the years that they turn up
in small towns and out-of-the-way places, hayseeds that come up to the stand
sucking on straws and wanting to sit in--and when you let 'em, they blow you
off the stand...!

    But there is something about those of us universally regarded as "great
players" that is more than--in excess of--technique, no matter how splendid,
more than mere notoriety can claim.  There are players like Bob Snyder, most
awesome clarinet/tenor technician on Marco Island/Macinaw Island who says
almost nothing at all and is universally dissed by musicians.  Not a player
to be remembered, for there is nothing "over and above."  Dare I mention
him?  Sure I do: this is Charlie!  I say in print what others won't.

    And I say: Abe Most was always and forever "over and above"!  I bought
his last record, "Play It Again, Abe!"  It's in my car on the CD player, I
hit it each time I drive, and my respect for him goes nowhere but up!  I
should live so long and play so well!

    Shalom, Abe!
    Charlie