[Dixielandjazz] San Diego

Elazar Brandt jazzmin@actcom.net.il
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:25:26 +0200

Shalom Bob,

Since my young Israeli banjo student has exceeded all my expectations in his
diligence and enthusiasm to learn banjo and to perform, we have become partners
in an effort to start working, while trying to expand into a larger jazz band.
He is able to carry the banjo load admirably, so I have migrated to tuba (my
vintage Czech sousaphone never fails to draw a crowd, and our music is good
enough to hold their interest). I also play trombone and some trumpet, and both
of us do vocals, kazoos, washboard and other shtick.

I had hoped to form a real Dixieland band, and I continue to work toward that
end. But meanwhile I find we have a marketable combination, and we have a
drummer and a couple other horn players I can call on for gigs but not for full
participation in a steady band.

So I was just getting ready to put out a request on the DJML for suggestions
from other banjo/tuba duos about performance ideas and what kind of gigs you
find people willing to pay for in this configuration, when I saw your post
today.

I met Katie Caverra and C.J. Sams on a recent trip to California, and heard them
briefly, but mostly only with Robert Butler's larger band. But I know they work
as a duo quite a bit in So Cal.

Of course, we can also do 2-banjo numbers. But the horns are a real novelty
here, hence my inability to find players to work with us.

Any suggestions? We like grass-roots type work--small parties, civic events,
holiday festivals, etc.  Not aiming for the big-time, but we won't complain if
it finds us. We're in the process of accidentally falling into the possibility
of singing telegram work. There doesn't seem to be any in Israel. Could be
perfect for us.

We would greatly appreciate any ideas and valuable experiences of other dynamic
duos.

Elazar
Chief Banjoist
Ministry of Jazz
Jerusalem, Israel
<www.israel.net/ministry-of-jazz>
Tel: +972-2-679-2537

NOTE: Coming soon to our website -- yes, finally, sound bytes. We finally
started work on a demo CD. Will let you know when the tracks are up and running.