[Dixielandjazz] Re: Lip Blowout

BudTuba@aol.com BudTuba@aol.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:59:07 EDT

--part1_16e.154a1630.2ad6d39b_boundary

In a message dated 10/8/02 11:35:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

> Clyde couldn't.  The right side of his mouth was effectively paralyzed. It
> didn't affect his speech; but that strong muscle around the mouth was
> weakened on the right side, and under the pressure necessary to blow a
> brass
> instrument, it could no longer hold more than a short time--about 8 to 12
> bars, depending on the tempo.

I would suspect a stroke.  A musician friend of mine had a stroke a couple of
weeks ago and I was surprised to see him attending a public event.  I asked
him about the stroke I had heard he had and he confirmed it.  In his case,
the effect was on his sense of balance, affecting a portion of the
cerebellum.  He could not detect any other symptoms.  He said he had had a
series of dizzy spells and stayed in bed for a couple of days thinking it
might be flu.  On the third day he called his doctor who ordered him to the
hospital where the stroke was diagnosed.  With blood thinners, etc. his sense
of balance partially returned and went back home...it is slowly improving.

I once performed a gig and during the first set, starting feeling an itching
feeling climbing up my back and I "knew" it would cause me to black out if it
reached my head.  I motioned to the leader that we had to take an early
break.  Things improved and we went back on the set.  That whole evening, I
could almost will the sensation to come back if I dwelled on it.  After the
gig was over, I went to a local hospital emergency room and waited 2 hours to
see a doctor.  They could find nothing.  The sensation never returned again
after that except for one time about a month later when I was driving through
hilly country.  The action of driving through a series of parallel hills
created the same sensation.  So it was my sense of balance also.  Could I
too, have had a small stroke?

Strokes do not flag themselves with pain signals...things just don't work the
same way anymore.  With a loss of muscle control, I would suspect this as a
cause and perhaps it occurred at a time when doctors were less able to
recognize the signposts.

Bud Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Rochester, NY
Traditional Jazz since 1958

--part1_16e.154a1630.2ad6d39b_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 10/8/02 11:35:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Clyde couldn't.&nbsp; The right side of his mouth was effectively paralyzed. It<BR>
didn't affect his speech; but that strong muscle around the mouth was<BR>
weakened on the right side, and under the pressure necessary to blow a brass<BR>
instrument, it could no longer hold more than a short time--about 8 to 12<BR>
bars, depending on the tempo.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
I would suspect a stroke.&nbsp; A musician friend of mine had a stroke a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised to see him attending a public event.&nbsp; I asked him about the stroke I had heard he had and he confirmed it.&nbsp; In his case, the effect was on his sense of balance, affecting a portion of the cerebellum.&nbsp; He could not detect any other symptoms.&nbsp; He said he had had a series of dizzy spells and stayed in bed for a couple of days thinking it might be flu.&nbsp; On the third day he called his doctor who ordered him to the hospital where the stroke was diagnosed.&nbsp; With blood thinners, etc. his sense of balance partially returned and went back home...it is slowly improving.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
I once performed a gig and during the first set, starting feeling an itching feeling climbing up my back and I "knew" it would cause me to black out if it reached my head.&nbsp; I motioned to the leader that we had to take an early break.&nbsp; Things improved and we went back on the set.&nbsp; That whole evening, I could almost will the sensation to come back if I dwelled on it.&nbsp; After the gig was over, I went to a local hospital emergency room and waited 2 hours to see a doctor.&nbsp; They could find nothing.&nbsp; The sensation never returned again after that except for one time about a month later when I was driving through hilly country.&nbsp; The action of driving through a series of parallel hills created the same sensation.&nbsp; So it was my sense of balance also.&nbsp; Could I too, have had a small stroke? <BR>
<BR>
Strokes do not flag themselves with pain signals...things just don't work the same way anymore.&nbsp; With a loss of muscle control, I would suspect this as a cause and perhaps it occurred at a time when doctors were less able to recognize the signposts.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=CENTER></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SCRIPT" FACE="Comic Sans MS" LANG="0">Bud Taylor<BR>
<B>Smugtown Stompers</B><BR>
Rochester, NY<BR>
Traditional Jazz since 1958</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</P></FONT></HTML>
--part1_16e.154a1630.2ad6d39b_boundary--