[Dixielandjazz] Exceptions

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:56:20 -0500

>>>Chords? Notes? Bechet just didn't need them. He immediately heard them
and his fully developed ear didn't lie very often. And how difficult that
must be, to play night after night, without a safety net under you.
No chord signature, or note to refer to if you get stuck somewhere in the
tune.<<<

      Ray Burke was another one like that.  Couldn't read a note as big as
the planet Pluto, but he could play anything in any key.  Beautifully
executed ideas on an old Albert system clarinet held together with rubber
bands and paper clips.
Phenomenal musician!   Nice guy....funny guy.
   Pat Cooke