[Dixielandjazz] Not enuf to hurtt my playin'

Will Connelly willc@nova.edu
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 19:47:00 -0400

Patrick Cooke wrote:

> answer to the question, "Do you read music?"
>
> He said, "Not 'nuff to hurt my playin' any."<<<
>
> I thought that was Wingy Manone said that.....maybe he got it from Louis....
>      Pat Cooke

Hey, Charlie, listen to your elders!

The way I heard it (from Goldie, I think) Paul Whiteman hired Wingy and
unhired him at the end of his first rehearsal with the band when his
inability to read became obvious.

"Go learn to read and you've got a job," PW said.

Some time later, Manone purportedly called Whiteman, who asked the
question that elicited the quoted response.

I had the impression from Joe Darensbourg, who introduced me to Louis,
that Louis could read okay.

Kindly,

Will ("Not Quite as Elderly as Cooke But Not All That Far behind")
Connelly